Subtracting Mixed Numbers
Find each difference. Simplify if possible.
11. In which of the exercises above do you have to rename
mixed number to show more fractional parts before subtracting?
The table at the right shows the lengths
12. How much longer is a 30d nail
than a 5d nail?
13. How much longer is a 12d nail than a 9d nail?
14. To subtract from , which of the following must the mixed
number first be renamed as?
15. Writing in Math Jack says that once you have a common
denominator you are ready to subtract two mixed numbers.
What other step might be necessary before you can subtract?
Give an example.