Equations with Parentheses
Lessons 6.3 & 6.4,
Objectives: To solve
equations that include
parentheses or fractions.
|GOLDEN RULE of
Do unto one side of an
equation as you do unto
the other side.
|Review of Lessons 6.1 & 6.2
1. Clear the equation of fractions. (Multiply
every term by the LCD to remove fractions.)
2. Use the Distributive Property to remove
parentheses on each side.
3. Combine like terms to get variable on
one side. (Undo addition or subtraction.)
4. Solve. (Undo multiplication or division.)
5. Check your solution by substituting what
you get into the original equation.
|Solving with Fractions
When an equation contains fractions,
multiply EVERY PART by the LCD. (Least
Common Denominator) This will eliminate
all fractions in the problem.
Add or subtract.
Multiply or divide.