Addition and Subtraction of Rational Numbers
• To understand and to be able to add and subtract rational numbers.
• To understand and be able to use fractions and mixed numbers.
• To be able to estimate with rational numbers.
Testing Your Knowledge
1. Compute each of the following.
2. Change each of the following fractions to a mixed
3. Change each of the following mixed numbers to a
fraction in the form a/b, where a and b are
4. A class consists
of 2/5 freshmen,1/4 sophomores,1/10 juniors, and the rest seniors. What fraction
of the class is seniors?
5. A -inch board is cut
from a inch board. The saw cut takes up 3/8 of
an inch. How
much of the inch board is left after cutting?
6. Suppose that a large pizza is divided up into 3 equal
size pieces and a small pizza is divided
up into 4 equal size pieces and you receive one piece from each pizza. Does 1/3+1/4 represent
the amount that you received? Why or why not.